Friday, May 10, 2013

FRANGO COM MOLHO DE TOMATE

FRANGO COM MOLHO DE TOMATE


This dish wasn't typically made in my house growing up, but you can find this recipe in many Portuguese cookbooks. Usually my mother would make her chicken stews with rice or potatoes and maybe one tomatoes cooked down for a little color. In my house we eat less starch and my husband is obsessed with any kind of tomatoes. Even if I'm making a dish that has nothing to do with tomatoes he'll tell me, "this is great, but would be even better with tomatoes". So here we have it, my Frango com Molho de tomate. 





Ingredients:
olive oil
4 cloves of garlic sliced thin
1/2 teaspoon of saffron 
1/4 teaspoon of chili flakes
1 small onion
1 16 oz can or fresh plum tomatoes
1/2 cup of red wine
1 sprig of rosemary
s+p to taste


Season/Marinate with your aromatics. 


Coat pan with olive oil and saute onions until softened. Season with s+p.

Start cooking chicken skin side down first. (note: I am using thighs. My husband will not eat chicken breast, you can choose any part of the chicken you'd like) Season again with s+p.

Do not peak or move around the chicken until chicken moves freely when you shake the pan. So that it creates a crust and will not stick to pan. Then flip. 


Add plum tomatoes and red wine


 Simmer low uncovered for 40 minutes 

Serve with a veggie or bread. 

Enjoy my foodie friends! 











4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and very easy to make too! BTW, you should definitely grow a tomato plant :o) Just need a pot and some sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grow my own veggies... just waiting for them :) Check me out on Healthy Goddess www.facebook.com/StephanieRaposoHerald

      Delete
  2. I grow my own too :) We are both very much into getting our own food from the dirt ;)

    ReplyDelete