Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Arroz Doce

Arroz Doce, or Sweet Rice, is a staple in many Azorean, (and Portuguese) homes.  It's one of those first things you learn to make since it's so easy.  I made some last night and had my husband document it for you :)

Arroz Doce
3 cups of milk
1 cup of sugar
lemon peels
pinch of salt
1 cup of rice (Medium grain works best)
3 eggs
Cinnamon 


Pull out everything you need first, it makes it easier than trying to read and grab things out of cabinets after you've started.


Pour your milk into your large stock pot. Peel half of the lemon (less if lemon isn't your favorite) and put the skin in the milk


I'm using a homemade "spoon" that my dad made :)  Just an extra little piece of love


Add in your sugar and a pinch of salt.

Stir to help the sugar dissolve


Bring the mixture to a boil


Pull out the Lemon Peels, my mom never did and someone would always end up with a big piece of lemon in their plate....it was like a surprise :)


Add in your rice and lower the heat


My husband insisted on taking a picture of my apron, "Rainha Do Forno"


While you let your rice cook crack 3 eggs into a bowl and whisk.  These are what give the rice the yellow color, if you want more color you can use a drop of yellow food coloring.


Add some of the rice once it's almost done cooking to the eggs so that they don't scramble when you put them into the rice.


Stir and get it all mixed in.


Put the egg and rice mix back into your pot and let the rice continue to cook and thicken.


Once the constancy looks like this, it's done!  If you get to this point and the rice isn't done cooking, take another cup of milk and heat it in a sauce pan and then add it to your rice.  Do not add cold milk to the rice and it will stop the cooking process.


Spread it out on a plate and start to decorate with cinnamon


Ta-da!

Enjoy!  If you  make this recipe, please share your photos with us on our Facebook page! :)



10 comments:

  1. Very NICE!! I sometimes make Aletria but my cinnamon lines are terrible! How do you get yours so nice? I see you just using your fingers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. how do i get my rice to cook fully miss PATTY?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should cook in the milk Stacey....If it's not fully cooked, heat up some milk separately and add it in...the key is too get more liquid in it so that it can cook longer.

      Delete
    2. yeah i did that... one time i let it cook for over an hour, adding milk/water so it wouldnt dry out, everything! even par boiling the rice before cooking in the milk...

      this is the only family dish i cant make, and it is really bothersome to me! i might have to crash your house next time you cook it! :-D

      Delete
    3. Stacey try using short grain rice instead. Do you have an electric stovetop? I've noticed that makes a big difference! The short grain takes less time to cook so try it with that and report back to me ;)

      Delete
  3. I always add the sugar last (before the egg). My mom always said that adding the sugar too soon slows down or stops the rice from cooking properly. That may help you.

    ReplyDelete