Saturday, July 11, 2020

Travesseiros

piriquita - Picture of Piriquita II, Sintra - Tripadvisor
Ola Amigos!
I know, it's been a long time since anyone has update this blog, and I'm sorry.  Work, family, friends, travel and more got in the way.  
The thing is with this blog, it's so hard to nail down the moms!  As you know we have always watched what they do, and translated it into English (and with measurements!  a handful doesn't work for some people, we know!), but I'm sure like any parent, you get "farto e cheio" (if you don't know, google!) of your kids in your face.  So I stopped asking to be honest.  I still cook and bake, but nothing like I did before, but that's it.  I'm putting my foot down.
I'm here and I tried something totally new.  And took it from a completely Portuguese recipe (measurements and oven temps and all!)  and made it alone (well, I shouldn't say alone, hubby helped me de-skin almonds for about 45 minutes!)

Last year I had the privilege to lead a few groups for work (I am a Travel Advisor for Sagres Vacations and we specialize in Portugal and Spain) to Portugal.  In 3 months, I went to various parts of Portugal 3 times!  It was a lot, but it was a blast!

During the trip in July, I was lucky enough to be on the mainland of Portugal, (add it to your bucket list!) with the Portuguese Kids for their annual group trip.


The trip was amazing and I am so happy I got to finally head to the mainland to see some of the sights that I have only read about.  It was a completely different experience from the islands, and I would never even compare the two. (I was also lucky to go on a multi-island tour of the Azores, I'll share those pictures with you soon!)  The group of 31 was amazing, and we had a great time!  So much so, that several are signed back up to go on groups with us again this year!  (Before the dreaded Corona happened 😠)

While on the trip to the mainland I was able to get to Sintra, and got to try their famous Travesseiros de Sintra.  Pillows of just sugar, eggs and almonds that make my mouth water just thinking about them!  Today, I looked at my husband and said "it's time to make the travesseiros".  To be honest, I've been nervous to make these because I hate working with Phyllo Dough.  Today I had enough with the fear and I dove in.

So here you go!
Travesseiros.
And truth be told, this was so easy!


Travesseiros de Sintra


1 box of Phyllo Dough (1 lb.)
7 oz of water
3 cups of sugar
1 1/4 cup of raw almonds, without the skin and crushed (note: read the end if you can't find them already without the skin)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
8 egg yolks
powdered sugar to sprinkle

1. Unfreeze your phyllo dough.  Crush your almonds with a food processor.  
2. Add water and sugar in a pan on low heat until dissolved and you get a syrup consistency. 
3. Beat your egg yolks with a fork to allow air to get into the eggs, and then add in your cinnamon and set aside.
4.  Once your water and sugar are ready, add in the almonds and then eggs with cinnamon and stir until thick over the heat.  Once thick, remove from the heat and let cool.  Heat your oven now to 395 degrees
5.  Unfold your phyllo and cut into thirds, and then in half, leaving you with little squares.
6.  Once your mixture is cooled, take 5 sheets of squares and lay them on top of each other and spoon a tablespoon or so into the middle.  Fold the right side and left side and and then take the top and the bottom and fold those as well, to make a little pillow of sorts.
7.  Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment, and bake for 20 minutes, or until the phyllo becomes golden brown and crispy.  let cool.
8.  Sprinkle them with powdered sugar and enjoy!



If you can not find de-skinned almonds, you can do it yourself, but be prepared, it take a while!  Soak the almonds in water for about 20-30 minutes, and then start peeling.  Yes, that is right, you peel every single on by hand.  It took two of us, about 45 minutes to do them ones we needed.


Click on the image to download and print for your own recipe box!



Here are some photos of the process of folding them, I know for myself, physically really help!






 


No comments:

Post a Comment